Winter Quarter 2015

From EBA_Documentation
Jump to: navigation, search


EBA Tech Meeting Agenda for 1/16/2015

This week:

  • Review updated milestones for Chris Sumption
  • Review updated milestones for Tony Le
  • Review updated asset diagram
  • Newbook Popup Rollovers
    • “you are talking about the notes which pop up upon a mouse rollover, my recollection is that we did that with some fancy (read: incredibly baroque) css that Jeremy wrote. Nowadays, I would just do it using javascript. Either way, there's nothing ajaxy about it---the text of those notes loads with the page (they're in a div at the bottom of the page).” (Joshua Crowgey)
  • Website - Volume 19 Summary
  • Omeka - Viewer Integration

Next week:

  • Tony - Present Javascript Viewer findings

Notes:

  • Chris to contact Allison about merging XML GitHub repositories
    • Think about Keeping transcribed XML diaries separate, together?
    • Concern is we don’t want to contaminate them.
  • Talk to Stacey
    • Chris to send out meeting agenda for next week
    • Explore Omeka TEI display addon

EBA Tech Meeting Agenda, Friday, January 23rd, 2015

Time: 10:00am to 11:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green C Attendees: Sarah Ketchley, Chris Sumption, Tony Le

From last week: Chris to contact Allison about merging XML GitHub repositories, Think about Keeping transcribed XML diaries separate, together? Concern is we don’t want to contaminate them., Talk to Stacey, Explore Omeka TEI display addon.

This week: Present Javascript Viewer findings, GitHub (In progress), Publishing Last Quarters Work (In Progress), Omeka (In Progress) Review updated asset diagram

Next week:

Notes: from Tony’s email(s) (1/21/2015) ...I've spent the last couple hours looking up some more ways to parse through the XML. I think what we will end up doing in the process of getting the JS Textual Viewer up, is using a JS library that converts the XML to JSON. In my opinion, this will make parsing through the information way easier, and the final JS code will be easier to read. The only potential issue that I see is using a "modern/industry standard" JS library, because I feel that term can be oftentimes ambiguous. What I found is this library called JKL.ParseXML ( http://www.kawa.net/works/js/jkl/parsexml-e.html ). There are other ways of converting XML to JSON too, that we may use instead. Anyway, finding a way to convert XML --> JSON will be my goal for the next few days. Actually, this looks a lot more promising, ignore the JKL.ParseXML library. https://code.google.com/p/x2js/

Research whether or not the XML ID tag that occurs in the TEI XML version of the volume 19 diary occurs in the Omeka database. If it does that would be a good way to access person name information, especially in situations where there is more than one spelling for thae same name.

Discussed the basic behavior of the of the pop up windows that appear over person names when a mouse selects the person name link. Chris misunderstood this functionality. Chris was thinking that the text in the pop up served as a method for getting the user to the Emmapedia database to find out more information about that particular person. As Sarah explained the popups primary purpose would be to enhance or support the users experience while reading the diary transcription. For instance, Sarah pointed out, when she comes across a name in a text, her first instinct is to find out when that person died. That and other summary information would be presented to the user in the popup. There should also be a link to emmapedia, but that should be a secondary purpose. Questions that need to be answered include: How much text can be in these boxes. Mobile device display should be used as the base test case for determining maximum word count. We can test word counts by using the PHP Textual Viewer A new field will need to be created in Omeka to support this functionality

Display of the TEI Header in the textual viewer was also discussed. The TEI Header probably won’t be displayed as prominently as it is in the PHP textual viewer. It may be hidden with the option for the user to display it. It may be located in a different location on a page

EBA Documentation Meeting Agenda, Friday, January 23rd, 2015

Time: 9:00am to 10:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green C Attendees: Sarah Ketchley, Chris Sumption

From last week:

  • Research Google Drive Sharing
    • How are you sharing now?
    • Research groups
  • Chris is going to meet with Allison to synch repositories
    • Allison needs to just do a pull request for her branch
  • Chris to create a Google Drive Map
    • emmabandrewsdiaryproject@gmail.com - p = see notes

This week: Created a Weekly Meeting Procedures document, WikiMedia Install (In Progress), Researched renaming emmapedia folder to documentation, Creating a new instal seems like easiest option, URL consistency, Chris to shift focus from Google Drive documentation, Go over what Chris researched and created?, Review Google Drive file ownership, Take necessary actions, Google Drive Sharing, Documentation, Removing users, Changing Ownership, Google Drive Organization, Current Organization, Proposed Organization, Google Drive, Chris wants to create a “Development” folder, Chris wants to create a “Meetings” folder, Where?, Intern Accomplishments document, Review Chris Sumption Milestones, Review Disaster Recovery File,

Notes:

Set up a recurring event in Google Calendar for meeting notifications, Its okay to name Wikimedia folder “documentation”, Chris look into Emmapedia-2 page on wordpress, Omeka needs to be upgraded, There is an Upgrade folder in Omeka, A backup of Omeka needs to be made, Web content, MySql database, Discussed that there should be a rigid structure for file names that exist in Google Drive

EBA Tech Meeting Agenda, Friday, January 30th, 2015

Time: 10:00am to 11:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green C Attendees: Chris Sumption, Tony Le

From last week:

This week: Javascript Viewer (In Progress), GitHub Pull Request (Complete), GitHub (In progress), Tony’s Repository Up to Date (Complete), Allison’s Repository Up to Date (In Progress), Publishing Last Quarters Work (In Progress), Omeka (In Progress) - Sandbox Version (Complete), WikiMedia (In Progress) - New Install (Complete) - Basic Configuration (Complete) - Advanced Configuration (In Progress)

Next week:

Notes: Everything seems on track with the JavaScript Viewer. We will do a mid quarter reevaluation next week to see if we need to adjust the scope of our deliverables.

EBA Tech Meeting Agenda, Friday, February 6th, 2015

Time: 10:00am to 11:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green C Attendees: Chris Sumption, Stacy Waters

From last week: Everything seems on track with the Javascript Viewer. We will do a mid quarter reevaluation next week to see if we need to adjust the scope of our deliverables.

This week: Javascript Viewer (In Progress), GitHub (In progress), Allison’s Repository Up to Date (In Progress) Publishing Last Quarters Work (In Progress), Omeka (In Progress) - Sandbox Version (Complete), and WikiMedia (In Progress) - Advanced Configuration (In Progress) - Content (In Progress)

Next week:

Notes: Chris and Stacy met. We spoke about many topics relating to the publishing of the PHP textual view of Diary 19 from Fall quarter and how that related to the Javascript version of that viewer. Here are some of the general items that were discussed: Chris explained that the PHP viewer from fall quarter is ready to be published, but there are two blockages. The major one is we need to get the transcription teams repository synched with the main branch of the Emma B. Andrews Repository. The lessor item is that we need the abridged summary content for the Wordpress page that exposes the viewer to the world. Stacy pointed out that instead of building a Javascript version of the PHP viewer, it might be faster to just build upon the PHP viewer and add more Javascript functionality. Chris agreed with that point. Chris also explained that method had been considered and was being held as a fallback position if the Javascript viewer turned out to be too problematic. Stacy suggested once the PHP version of the viewer is made live, that we test it with some of the Svoboda TEI XML, just to test how interoperable the viewer was. Chris expressed some frustration with the challenges of exporting information from Omeka. Chris and Stacy reviewed how the PHP viewer worked. The rest of the meeting was spent going over some of the components of the Emma B. Andrews Diaries Project system and how they related to each other.

(From Tony’s Email 2/6/2015) - ... Not sure if you have looked at my website, but I managed to get most of the text up, but without the names. That's the problem I've been trying to tackle as of recent.

EBA Tech Meeting Agenda, Friday, February 13th, 2015

Time: 10:00am to 11:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Booth D Attendees: Sarah Ketchley, Chris Sumption, Tony Le

From last week: Chris and Stacey met. We spoke about many topics relating to the publishing of the PHP textual view of Diary 19 from Fall quarter and how that related to the Javascript version of that viewer. Here are some of the general items that were discussed:

This week: Javascript Viewer, GitHub - Allison’s Repository Up to Date, Publishing Last Quarters Work and Omeka.

Next week:

Notes:

(from Tony’s Email 2/13/2015) - if you haven't already looked at my website where I display the EBA Diaries.. I am like 90% of the way there. I got all the entries to display properly and half the names. There is a bug that I am currently stuck on that is preventing all the names from displaying properly.


EBA Documentation Meeting Agenda, Friday, February 20th, 2015

Time: 9:00am to 10:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green C Attendees: Sarah Ketchley, Chris Sumption

From last week:

This week: Quickly finish Wednesday’s conversation (Chris), URS Abstract (Chris), Wiki login for Sarah (Chris) Google Drive Domains (Chris), Bug List (Chris), http://mitford.pitt.edu/1820-03-20-WElford.html

Next week:

Notes: Sarah now has access to the project wiki pages and has permissions to create and edit pages. It is possible to style the wiki, there are even responsive templates, but this is a low priority right now. If we keep it in the standard “Wikipedia” format, for the most part we don’t have to train them how to use it. Chris will transfer his abridged help page from his wikimedia site.

Google Drive does not let users transfer ownership of documents across domains. For instance, Chris cannot transfer ownership of any of his documents to EBA, because Chris’s Drive is part of the University’s domain, and the EBA drive is on the Google domain. Sarah would like Google Doc about what tags are allowed.

A bug list spreadsheet should be created to track any bugs that appear in any of the technologies. That spreadsheet could receive data from a Google form. A link to that form could be found in the project wiki.

Sarah found a link to this project: http://mitford.pitt.edu/1820-03-20-WElford.html . Some time was spent looking at this site and trying to figure out if they did the descriptive popover content on the server before delivering the page to the client, or did they bake in the content to the html page. It was decided that it would be worth our wile to investigate this project, but it was kind of left at that.

EBA Tech Meeting Agenda, Friday, February 20th, 2015

Time: 10:00am to 11:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green C Attendees: Sarah Ketchley, Chris Sumption, Tony Le

From last week: (from Tony’s Email 2/13/2015) - if you haven't already looked at my website where I display the EBA Diaries.. I am like 90% of the way there. I got all the entries to display properly and half the names. There is a bug that I am currently stuck on that is preventing all the names from displaying properly.

This week: GitHub - Take ownership of volume 1 Publishing Last Quarters Work - TEI Header Omeka transfer and Omeka Sandbox

Next week:

Notes: Chris to create a 3 person JSON object. Chris to update all Volume 19 XML files to current version. Chris to update PHP Textual Viewer. Chris to copy Volume 1 from Allison’s branch and create its own development repository. Chris to begin transfer of content from Wordpress to Omeka. Tony is at roadblock with the Javascript version of the Textual Viewer. It was agreed that we should start a retreat back to the PHP viewer and move forward from there. The challenge is that there are really only three weeks left in the quarter, how should Tony move forward. We discussed a couple of options. One was to begin working on the functionality of connecting the Person Names to a JSON data structure. Another possible option could be spend the time researching. The Digital Mitford: Letters might be a viable subject to research. The discussion was left at Tony was going to think about it over the weekend. Tony is to document his work and research on the Javascript viewer.

EBA Documentation Meeting Agenda, Friday, February 27th, 2015

Time: 9:00am to 10:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green C Attendees: Sarah Ketchley, Chris Sumption

From last week: Project Wiki: Sarah now has access, It is possible to style the wiki, but this is a low priority right now. Chris will transfer his abridged help page from his wikimedia site. Google Drive: does not let users transfer ownership of documents across domains. Sarah would like Google Doc about what tags are allowed. A bug list spreadsheet should be created to track any bugs that appear in any of the technologies. Sarah found a link to this project: http://mitford.pitt.edu/1820-03-20-WElford.html .

This week: Omeka “Person” items should contain a field that directly maps to the XML “Person” tag’s “ref” attribute (eg Newberry_Mary). The standardized authority control for names is not going to have the diary names in their data store. We should stay away from generating “Magic Numbers” to keep track of people The XML files themselves do contain enough information to identify persons: The “ref” tag attribute if that’s not enough, the text contains temporal and spatial hints within the text (this “Mary Newberry” was in “Cairo” in “1912” - something along those lines. The bug list from the previous week was not discussed. How should the reader handle Person tags that have no Omeka information Should there be default content that the reader displays when there is no information for a particular person? Should an stubs be created in Omeka for every person listed in Volume 19? Can the XSLT sheet that generated the names list for volume 19 be modified to display how often names occur? Would that information be useful for deciding which names get researched first? Discussed FERPA and the projects documentation practices http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/ferpafac.html Omeka Webinar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV9xcJMiZ8Y http://www.slideshare.net/jkmcgrath/hastac-scholars-omeka-and-digital-archives Future Webinars March 13, 3pm (EST): MIT Annotation Studio (Rachel Schnepper) April 15, 3pm (EST): Teaching and Researching with Scalar (Anne Cong-Huyen and Craig Dietrich) May 20, time TBA: Q&A with Omeka’s Outreach team May, date and time TBA: The Provoke Sound Project Student documentation requirements for future quarters, what does that look like? Is there a weekly due date? Can we access the students “world” knowledge (for instance 250 words per week, due on Fridays)?

Next week: Documenting the meeting notes Versions from participants (Chris version, Sarah version)

Notes:

EBA Tech Meeting Agenda, Friday, February 27th, 2015

Time: 10:00am to 11:00am Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green C Attendees: Sarah Ketchley, Chris Sumption, Tony Le

From last week: Chris to create a 3 person JSON object, update all Volume 19 XML files to current version, update PHP Textual Viewer, copy Volume 1 from Allison’s branch and create its own development repository, and begin transfer of content from Wordpress to Omeka Tony is at roadblock with the Javascript version of the Textual Viewer. It was agreed that we should start a retreat back to the PHP viewer and move forward from there. The discussion was left at Tony was going to think about it over the weekend. Tony is also to document his work and research on the Javascript viewer.

This week: Review updated milestones for Tony Le Review updated milestones for Chris Sumption Next Weeks Meeting Notifications (See Weekly Meeting Procedures)

Next week:

Notes: Tony wants to proceed with adapting the PHP viewer so popovers can display dynamic content. We discussed what that would look like: Could write a Javascript application that gets called when the HTML page is completely loaded and the “onload” event is fired for the page. Could write a Javascript application that gets called on the “click” event for the “a” tag that anchors the popover. Could adapt the PHP script to dynamically generate the appropriate popover content upon creation of the “a” tag. It was decided to proceed with the third PHP option because that option makes the most sense. We are handling the content only once that way. We need to add the Omeka or correct spelling of the name of the person in the JSON list of person names. “sic” tag indicates a misspelling by either Emma B. Andrews or the typist. The Viewer will need to account for this at some point.