Difference between revisions of "Spring Quarter 2016"
Latest revision as of 08:12, 27 March 2016
DH Textbook Meeting Agenda, Friday, March 25th, 2016
Time: 2:00pm to 3:00pm Place: UW Libraries, Research Commons, Green D Attendees: Sarah Ketchley, Emily Thompson
- Discussion of goals for quarter.
- Overview of DH Course materials, spread between OwnCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Canvas and various linked websites.
- Open Textbook Library http://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/
- Participation in UW Open Textbook Initiative, with December 2016 deadline/end of Fall Quarter 2016 deadline for completion of textbook draft.
- PressBooks publishing platform pressbooks.com will be used by the Open Textbook Initiative for online publication.
- Aesthetics http://jessestommel.com (wordpress site). Images used are from Flickr, with a CC license (and appropriate attribution).
- Wordpress Themes http://my.studiopress.com/themes/ Sarah has access to all the themes on this site.
- Research whether it's practical to create textbook in XML and use XSLT to create HTML webpages, PDF and ePub output. This is possible using Oxygen editor, just need to create appropriate XSLT script.
- Research best platform to develop textbook on. Simple text editor? Wordpress or other platform? In this case, how would we export the text/images/videos?
- Begin planning outline of textbook, using the current DH syllabus as a framework. The goal will be to work on each chapter/section following the class.
- Discuss development of further screencasts with Brad.
- W3C standards, quick read and very open source: https://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility
- Textbook from INFX 503/Intro to web design, good explanations about accessibility but not very open source: http://alliance-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/UW:all:CP71225839080001451